Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Post-Holiday Sales and Contemporary Slavery



I have been completely neglecting my "Grumpy Sociologist" blog here since also blogging over at Sociology In Focus. Back in January, while walking around one of the innumerable mini-malls in Irvine, California, I noticed as I do every year in January the massive sales.

I started seeing clothing items on sale for $5, some for less, as merchants attempted to get their un-sellable merchandise off the shelves. Were they still turning a profit? Hard to say, but it made me think about how inexpensive these clothing items were for the middle-class Irvine shoppers. And why were they so cheap? Because they were made by exploited labour, perhaps even enslaved labour.



I get into more at Sociology In Focus here: By Hitting Up Those Post-Holiday Sales, Are You Supporting Contemporary Slavery?. Check it out if you have a minute.

blog search engine
academics links

1 comment:

  1. I precisely wanted to appreciate you all over again. I am not sure the things I could possibly have worked on without the type of creative concepts discussed by you relating to this theme. It had become a real terrifying concern for me, however , finding out the very specialized mode you managed that forced me to leap with happiness. Now i am grateful for this advice and thus have high hopes you find out what a great job you're getting into educating the rest all through your web site. Probably you have never met any of us.
    TYR Sport Women's Aquarius Maxback Swim Suit

    ReplyDelete